Here is my review of 2020, the weirdest year of my life.
I had two career goals:
- Expand my professional network
- Embody Netflix culture
- Led multiple cross-functional projects successfully
- Transitioned to remote working without a hiccup
- Had a productive Q1 and Q2 at work
- Got used to providing positive feedback
- Gave a public talk to a crowd of 200
- Couldn’t understand the importance of Q3 and Q4 projects
- Failed to get enough context on my domain to have a deep insight
- Still not used to giving constructive feedback honestly
- Did not expand my professional network outside the talk
- Start questioning the underlying assumptions of our projects. I am only as effective as the impact of the projects I work on. I need to make sure that they are worthy of the team’s time.
- Make time at work to play with new technologies that I am not comfortable with.
- Be more honest about challenging conversations and my career growth.
I had quite a few personal goals in 2020:
- Continue to have a happy marriage
- Rest more
- Get leaner
- Reach personal records on big lifts (Bench 225 lbs & Squat 360 lbs & Deadlift 405 lbs)
- Keep up with the recent trends.
- Read long forms vs. short forms
- Stayed healthy throughout the year
- Daily walks with my wife gave us more focused time with each other without devices.
- Ran 10k in one go (first time ever!)
- Published my newsletter every week
- Read a couple of eye-opening books like How to Hide an Empire and Riding for Deliveroo
- Messed up my diet and gained 5 lb while losing muscle.
- Unable to work out as much as I wanted to due to COVID and the California wildfires
- My sleep pattern was out of control
- Couldn’t find the will to meditate
- Read fewer books than I originally planned (37 out of 52)
- I’ve relied on my years of training to get away with an unhealthy diet and inconsistent sleep. I believe that reserve is now depleted. I need to start taking care of myself.
- Accept that my life pattern has changed and adjust my plans accordingly.
I am grateful that none of my family has caught COVID-19, that my wife and I got to spend more time with each other, and that I did not have to worry about my job. I did ok considering everything.